1. Rockin' soundtrack. This movie introduced me to Ben Folds, who is great.
2. The animation. Stunning! Even when the bear villain is in the throes of a murderous rage, I want to pet him and give him a big hug, he looks so wonderfully soft.
3. I don't care if it's a kids' movie, it makes me laugh. You try watching and not fall in love with the William Shatner possum!
4. "My father's face was so flat. It was beautiful. He could hardly breathe!" That line was from a cat, but it goes both ways. This cat also says he has no sense of smell, since his face was bred for beauty. (It's a good thing for the sake of the movie, since he falls for the skunk, but whatever.) Are you listening, breeders?
5. The obligatory crazed Rottweiler is not, for perhaps the first time in movie history, a vicious brute bent on ripping the peaceable woodland creatures to shreds for invading his territory, but a goofy overgrown puppy who wants nothing more than to play with them. Rock on.
There is so much we can learn from childrens' movies.
Back soon with some muttpuppy-bashing.